Over the last few years, consistency has been something Manchester United simply have not found. Changes to teams. formations, new signings, but yet still evident are occasional lapses in performances and vulnerability. One man however who has been constant in never letting the side down is their Spanish number one.
Upon signing in 2011, United knew they were signing potential with the Madrid born keeper just 21. Although European and La Liga experience was under his belt, De Gea was like a baby who had just began to crawl before his move to Manchester.
Then on arrival in England it was comparable to the infant taking their first steps, he needed help and often faltered at the first attempt. Dzeko slammed one past him on his Community Shield debut, and then Shane Long struck a tame effort that rather dribbled past his palms at the Hawthorns on his first Premier League outing. He was a boy, and in his first season people criticized Sir Alex Ferguson’s judgement in bringing over a novice to replace Edwin Van Der Sar. But after a season to acclimatize, United fans are now reaping the rewards of another genius signing from their former legendary manager.
After denying Stoke twice in second-half stoppage time on Tuesday evening to take all three points, stunned United supporters took to Twitter…
My certainty that De Gea is the answer to all known problems, including climate change, grows by the week.
— M (@ScholesEsque) December 3, 2014
De Gea is insane. How many points has he saved us this season already. Just get him signed up on a bumper contract asap!
— the MUFC bible (@theMUFCbible) December 3, 2014
De Gea could save Anderson’s career he’s that good.
— United Religion (@Unitedology) December 2, 2014
De Gea is out of this world.
— Mgh (@OfficialMgh) December 2, 2014
.@ManUtd Not being funny, guys, but seriously, put David de Gea on a new contract. You won’t find a GK as good as him again.
— Liam (@OffsideLiam) December 2, 2014
David de Gea is unbelievable, the man has become a machine. WATCH THIS SAVE! http://t.co/nUvddXJL7Z
— Devils of United (@DevilsOfUnited) December 2, 2014
2 Wold class saves by de Gea in last 2 mins. My god. I can’t believe it. Very lucky to get the 3pts.. Thanks again @DeGea08 for saving us.
— Man Utd News (@SirAlexStand) December 2, 2014
70% of the earth is covered by water. The other 30%, by David de Gea. #ggmu
— Aaron Edwards (@aaroneze) December 3, 2014
David de Gea this season pic.twitter.com/JzjOCdpfBu
— Manchester United FC (@SirAlexWay) December 3, 2014
Hard to believe I once had to post this in defence of David de Gea http://t.co/jSBx0EcybH Was making world class saves back then too.
— BeautifullyRed (@BeautifullyRed) December 3, 2014